Frequently Asked Questions
What are magnet grants?
- Magnet grants are highly competitive grants funded through the United States Department of Education. They are designed to create new and innovative thematic whole-school programs and offer equitable school choice to families.
What is a Magnet School?
- Magnet Schools are public schools of choice. They are part of the NYCDOE public school system. Magnet Schools offer specialized curriculum aligned to the school’s theme with student activities designed to promote academic excellence. Magnet Schools integrate STEAM (science, technology, engineering, arts, and math) into academic subjects and school activities.
What Makes Magnet Schools Unique?
- Magnet Schools are New York City public schools of choice that receive additional funding from the federal government to implement a theme, design innovative curriculum and increase family participation. Academic experiences are enriched by school trips, additional supplies, partnerships, and arts-in-residency programs. Magnet Schools offer challenging interdisciplinary academic experiences designed to engage, inspire and motivate students to achieve.
How do I apply to a magnet school? How are students selected?
- Magnet schools follow the NYCDOE enrollment processes for Pre-Kindergarten, Kindergarten and Middle School Choice. Please follow the links listed below for more information. The Magnet School Application typically period begins in October and continues until February for placement the following September.
- Students entering first through fifth grade as well as seventh and eighth grade can fill out a Magnet Application available at each Magnet School or by calling 718-759-4977. Throughout the application period, Magnet Schools will have open houses, tours, and events to showcase their programs. Families are encouraged to attend open houses before selecting a magnet school. The selection criterion is dependent upon seat availability and NYCDOE enrollment priorities. If there are more seats than applicants, applicants will receive an offer. If there are more applicants than seats available on a grade level, then there will be a lottery, based on NYCDOE enrollment priorities.
When will I be notified?
- Notification for applicants requesting placement in grades 1-5 and 7-8 will be made in the spring. Students will receive notification by mail. Notification letters will outline specific instructions for placement acceptance.
Who do I contact for information?
- For more information about Magnet Schools, to receive an application or arrange a tour, please call the Magnet School Program Office at 718-759-4977